Wednesday, June 13, 2007

It's a Wonderful World


Yesterday afternoon, I picked up my 4th grade daughter, Francesca, from school. It was a beautiful day, and as a treat I took her out for ice cream. As we sat in the sun enjoying the beginning of summer, she suddenly said, "I just love my life."

When I asked her what in particular she liked, she replied, "Oh, everything! I love riding my bike at the beach. I love eating ice cream. I love the weather. I love it when you make good dinners. I just love everything!"

Hearing my daughter talk about how much joy she finds in life made me remember having that same feeling as a child. Every moment was magica, and the world was a wonderful place to live. Until Francesca reminded me, I hadn't realized how long it has been since I've felt that sense of serenity and unadulterated happiness. I believe that if we can tap into this feeling of well being in our grown up lives, we can all be happier on the whole.

As the famed philosopher Johann Goethe says, "A person should hear a little music, read a little poetry and see a fine picture every day in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul."

Beauty is not difficult to cultivate- all we need to do is become aware of beautiful moments in our daily lives- the way a light plays off the water, marvelous music, genuine laughter, a great cup of coffee at a small cafe. All we need to do is slow down a little, take a closer look, and find the beauty that is just waiting to be discovered in the world around us.









www.rosannainc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment